InteractionI appreciate hearing from you when you visit my blog, so please don't hesitate to leave a comment or send me an email (annajm77[at]gmail[dot]com). Thanks!
What I’ve written so far
What I write about
- A bit of this and a bit of that (29)
- Books and Reading (7)
- Creative (49)
- My everyday life (22)
- Out of town (8)
- Abroad (8)
Monthly Archives: March 2011
Remember my photo project for 2011? I’m taking pictures every day and one is chosen to go in a picture book I will print.
Here are some pictures from my February:
February 7th, 2011 – The crocheted budgie I made for a retiring colleague (you can read more about it here)
February 15th, 2011 – Chocolate from my favorite chocolate shop in Malmö: Cacaofoni
Pattern: Child’s Messenger Bag from One-Yard Wonders by Rebecca Yaker and Patricia Hoskins
Fabric: Something I bought at Åhléns one or two or three years ago
Project time: Wednesday March 9th, 2011 – Thursday March 10th, 2011
Ramblings: I thought the design was interesting with its bottom corners (see picture below). I’ve never seen a box-shape made that way. Don’t know how practical it is (I imagine dirt and stuff to quite eaily get stuck in those folds) but it looks neat.
I had some problem attaching the Velcro on the bag body. I didn’t think the measurements in the book made sense on the placement of them so I used my intuition and moved them up a bit. I should’ve used more of my intuition and moved them even further but I chickened out. And ended up having to rip the ones on the flap and move them down a bit. I haven’t found any errata on this so I don’t know if others have had the same problem or if I just didn’t understand how to place a rectangular Velcro-piece 10.5″ from the top edge…
Overall, I enjoyed the fast project. From cutting out the pieces (standard rectangles of different measurements) to having a complete bag only took about three-four hours.
The bag is huge (for its recipient) and I just hope my little niece don’t drown in it…
I made the binding myself using the method where you get one continuous tape by just sewing one seam. You can find loads of tutorials on YouTube if you search for “make bias tape continuously“.
I’m attaching the binding by hand on the back. I’m using ladder stitch. It trakes time, but I like the way it turns out. A bit wavy, but not too much. I have another 3 sides and corners left to do.
I’ve used scraps from the quilt top to make part of the back. I’ve added some fabric from my stash as well, like the grey seen here.
I decided to quilt it all with random straight lines. I’m using a yellow thread and I quite like it. It shifts between a brighter and a more subbtle yellow but not very noticeably. Quilting like this was fun! I didn’t have to put too much thought into it and I think it works well with the wonky 9-patches on the front.